Subject: Comments on draft WWW page templates

From: Brian Meek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 14:11:52 GMT

I can't recall seeing any responses to the draft template for SC22 WG home 
pages, in Annapolis AN-8 and later sent electronically.  Here are a few 
comments from me.

Home page:

In my expereince it's easy to make home pages too complicated and I think the 
draft errs slightly in that direction.  On the whole it's better to start with 
a simple one and add to it if necessary rather than start with a big one, 
because if you then reorganise it regular viewers get upset!

I'd suggest something like this after the header

Scope and purpose - as suggested, fine.

Convenor, with full contact info including mailto: link unless the convenor 
would rather it wasn't.

Link to a page with a list of national contacts and liaisons.  (NB there is no
formal NB membership of WGs though delegates are expected to know that NB
opinion is instead of or as well as representing themselves.)   Include names
and contact info for each, provided of course they agree. 

List of projects: IS, DIS, CD, WD, NP-with-no-WD-yet, TR, DTR, WDTR with links 
to pages for each (if they exist).  Put ISO publication numbers but not 
old-style JTC1 project numbers as suggested in the draft - distracting and 
possibly offputting at home page level, but ISO numbers are important 
references.

Link to document list page

Link to page with next meeting info (date and place could be on home page if 
you want)

Link to page with last meeting minutes.

That's all.

As for documents in main list, please not N1 to N12345 as a monolithic 
numerical list - or if you do, put them in reverse numerical order so the most 
recent ones are at the front.  Alternatively and probably easier, put them in 
batches, again with most recent at top, e.g. links to

- most recent (N601-)
- (N501-600)
- (N401-500)
- (N301-400)
- (N201-300)
- (N101-200)
- (N001-100)

Brian Meek