Subject: Re: (SC35WG2.20) (SC35WG1.507) JTC1/SC35 meeting - Barcelona, week of 10 February 2014

From: Khalid CHOUKRI <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:30:15 +0100

Hi Alain,
I am responding to this email , now that we got more input from our 
secretariat,

ALB wrote, On 28/01/2014 15:57:
> Le 2014-01-28 à 08:32, Khalid CHOUKRI a écrit :
>> Well I am surprised to see that (and hope this is only WG1!) , let us 
>> discuss it again and see how to move forward.
>
> [Alain]  So far I have seen unanimity of those who expressed their 
> views from other WGs as well (Seki San, Jim, Monique, Karl, Keld, 
> etc.). Nobody else said the view I expressed on GOM was not the best 
> and most efficient one, and the one understood in Saskatoon too at our 
> infornal meeting. That is why I say it is certainly only a 
> misunderstanding between those who knew GOMs and you, Khalid (no 
> offence intended, of course, I'm just in search of the best). Btw GOM 
> is a concept invented by AFNOR at the time (for meetings when the 
> secretary could not be present). It pleased everybody. It seems it 
> still pleases.

I am happy to see that we all targeting the same objective, though we 
have different approaches to achieve it. I do not think there was any 
misunderstanding about the operations of the WGs, I have been briefed by 
Yves and Philippe but yo are right (and I am not offended, I appreciate 
your fair and friendly involvement in this discussion), I know that I 
have so much to learn. But this does not (should not) prevent us from 
thinking of our approaches and how to improve our processes.

I have seen that most of the work is done on site and I would like to 
see more of this done during the periods between meetings via email, 
skype, and if necessary wikis.
I attended the JTC1 meeting last November and was surprised to see that 
most of the SCs meet once a year (or even less), many of their WGs 
members  meet at conferences for a day or two.

Given Philippe's remarks , I suggest that we go ahead with the WGs 
meetings (I have asked Philippe to circulate a general schedule of the 
meetings of the WGs 1,2,4,6,7), and let us have a short meeting on 
Monday morning all together to plan the activities of the week.

best regards

Khalid

>
>    Some other remarks:
>
> 1) not all P-members are represented at Plenaries with a capital P, 
> unfortunately. There is no reason to be more severe concerning this at 
> resolution plenaries with a small p. In general, except for one or 2 
> exceptions, member bodies really participating in making projects 
> attend all meetings (that said without diminishing the importance of 
> others who still show their solidarity in the voting process of 
> documents to be published, which is very important and the name of the 
> game in international standards).
>
> 2) The notion of quorum is important (both at Plenaries and 
> "plenaries" [GOMs]). Resolutions taken by GOMs should be as executory 
> as those taken at Plenaries because there is a quorum (without letter 
> ballot to approve those resolutions again). Whether these resolutions 
> are approved in a GOM or in a single WG should not matter. In other 
> SCs, even when there is an interim meeting (no Plenary), resolutions 
> of WGs are executory immediately ans are not approved twice in a 
> further letter ballot (case in point : JTC1/SC2, in which I am active 
> both as convernor and editor).
>
> 3) GOMs just assures SC35 coherence, as there are multiple projects 
> that inter-relates WGs (which may be not the case in other SCs). It is 
> essential to have constant coherence, all year round. This GOM process 
> does not violate any ISO or IEC rule to my nowledge (on the contrary, 
> it improves efficience), it is an internal process (checked by AFNOR 
> at the time). It also ensures there is no dispersion, and should be an 
> asset more to ensure that nothing is forgotten, Dividing SC35 further 
> would not be a good idea, it would be detrimental to coherence, I'm 
> convinced about this.
>
> Alain
> ---
> Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel 
> malveillant parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.
> http://www.avast.com
>

-- 

*Khalid Choukri *
ELRA General secretary & ELDA CEO
email: [email-masked];
Web: www.elra.info www.elda.org
Tel. +33 1 43 13 33 33 - Fax. +33 1 43 13 33 30

****************************************************
** Info on LREC: www.lrec-conf.org
****************************************************

*