Subject: Translation problems -- not only with automatic translation, but for humans too

From: Alain LaBont� <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:35:03 -0400

Le 2013-07-25 à 10:40, Yoshikazu SEKI a écrit :
>Dear Alain,
>
>Thank you very much for your comment.
>
>French title is automatically translated by translator widget of Mac 
>OS X. So it must be revised.
>
>Best regards,

[Alain]  Problem with translation between English and French is that 
English does not convey the functional relationship between two nouns 
in a row (it's even worse when 3 nouns are involved). Now French 
structurally needs to know what this relationship is for the 
translation to be accurate, and in fact to be even done (otherwise 
the translator, machine or human, has to invent this relationship) .

There are less problems translating from French to English (certain 
French prepositions [indicating functional relationship] may -- or 
not, optionally -- be dropped; English may also use prepositions at 
once, but it is not considered natural by English speakers, and 
heavier ; adjectives could also be used : here English would be asier 
to translate accuretaly if, instead of "voice commands", one would 
have rather used "vocal commands" as a title).

    That is a linguistic adaptability issue... _-)

Alain LaBonté
____________________
>On 2013/07/25, at 23:02, Alain LaBonté <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > Looks in line with what was discussed in Busan.
> >
> > I also sent the folowing private message earlier, I copy it here:
> > I note that the French translation of the title " ...Commandes de 
> voix..." for all parts is not elegant (and not exact too -- we 
> don't command voice, it is the contrary, voice is commanding).
> > It should be " ...Commandes vocales... ".
> > Alain