Subject: Minutes WG22 4th Meeting, London

From: Isabelle Walch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 15:23:25 PDT

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG22 N 114

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG22
Portable common tool environment (PCTE)
Secretariat: SwitzerlandApril 1996Title:			
Minutes of SC22/WG22 4th meeting, 15-17 April 1996, London, 
United KingdomSource:			Secretariat ISO/IEC 
JTC1/SC22/WG22 Project:			JTC1.22.47
Status:			Minutes
Cross reference:		
Action:			For approval and action by SC22/WG22
			For information of SC22

Minutes of 4th Meeting ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG22 - PCTE
including joint sessions with ECMA TC33
London,  United Kingdom,  15-17 April 1996
1	Opening business
The Convenor Mr. Minot (France) opened the 4th meeting of WG22 
at 09:00 hours on Monday, 15 April 1996 in the BSI Offices in 
London.
Mr. Minot apologized for being able to attend only on 15 April, 
and Mr. Dawes accepted with thanks to Chair the meeting on 16 
and 17 April. Mr. Davis apologized for his own partial 
attendance at this meeting, travelling early this week to other 
business in Japan.
An attendance list is given at annex A to these minutes. 
Apologies for absence were received from Prof. Dr. Kelter 
(Germany; other commitments this week), Mr. Simonsen (Denmark; 
delay in Japan compounded by commitments at a concurrent 
meeting in København), and Mr. Yoshino (Japan; otherwise 
engaged in completing an important repository development 
project), all indicating that they will keep in close contact 
with current WG22 business via email.
These minutes cover both the WG22 4th meeting and the joint 
sessions with ECMA TC33 held during 15-17 April; items covered 
in joint sessions are indicated as such in these minutes.
2	Adoption of agenda
The agenda was adopted as proposed (WG22 N75), after adding a 
new item 14 on a PCTE query facility, and is reflected by these 
minutes. A number of items were re-sequenced to take account of 
partial attendance by some members this week.
3	Approval of minutes of WG22 3rd meeting
The minutes, including annexes A, B and C, were approved as 
written (WG22 N65, Makuhari, Japan, 13-15 November 1995).
4	Review of actions
The status of all open actions from previous minutes was reviewed (summarily given at annex C of WG22 N65). Four organizational points (actions 3.20, 3.21, 3.22 and 3.23) were immediately noted as discharged, with thanks to Mr. Dawes and BSI for the fine arrangements made in London.
All other open actions from previous minutes were reviewed under appropriate items of the present meeting :
Action 1.11 :	addressed under item 18;
Action 1.12 :	addressed under item 18;
Action 3.1 :	addressed under item 6.4;
Action 3.2 :	addressed under item 6.7;
Action 3.3 :	addressed under item 10;
Action 3.4 :	addressed under item 10;
Action 3.5 :	addressed under item 12;
Action 3.6 :	addressed under item 8;
Action 3.7 :	addressed under item 8;
Action 3.8 :	addressed under item 8;
Action 3.9 :	addressed under item 9;
Action 3.10 :	addressed under item 9;
Action 3.11 :	addressed under item 13;
Action 3.12 :	addressed under item 17;
Action 3.13 :	addressed under item 18;
Action 3.14 :	addressed under item 16;
Action 3.15 :	addressed under item 16;
Action 3.16 :	addressed under item 7;
Action 3.17 :	addressed under item 19;
Action 3.18 :	addressed under item 19;
Action 3.19 :	addressed under item 19.
A summary of all carried-forward actions is given at annex C to 
these minutes.
5	Reports from national bodies
Mr. Dawes gave a brief oral report on news from the United 
Kingdom. No news was reported from other nations.
6	Review of liaisons with other groups
6.1	SC7/WG11 - SEDDR (addressed in joint session with ECMA 
TC33)
Mr. Davis introduced his liaison report to WG22 on PCTE Schema 
Definition Sets (WG22 N106), and a mapping strategy for 
deriving PCTE SDSs from CDIF subject areas (WG22 N107).
Mr. Davis then introduced an extract of the CDIF integrated 
meta-model Common subject area (WG22 N108), and PCTE SDSs for 
four CDIF subject areas :
Common (WG22 N109),
Foundation (WG22 N110),
Data Modelling (WG22 N111),
Data Definition (WG22 N112),
adding that there should not be an ICL or CDIF copyright on 
these papers.
Mr. Davis proposed in a broad manner that the four PCTE SDSs be 
progressed with a view to publication as ECMA standards, 
possibly in a December 1996 timeframe, and that the mapping 
strategy for deriving PCTE SDSs from CDIF subject areas also be 
envisaged for publication by ECMA in December 1996, as a TR or 
standard.
All members of WG22 and ECMA TC33 present viewed the papers 
prepared by Mr. Davis in a highly positive manner and expressed 
support for his initiatives and work, as recorded in Resolution 
4.1 (in annex B to these minutes).
It was agreed that comments should be forwarded to Mr. Davis :
from WG22 members in regard and support for the work within 
SC7/WG11, and
from ECMA TC33 members in regard and support for their 
progression to ECMA publications.
Action 4.1 : Mr. Dawes
To study what if anything needs to be done in using DDL to 
define standard SDSs.
Status : new
6.2	SC21/WG3 - Database
Liaison officer Dr. Bird indicated that there is no news to 
report at present, other than noting the outcome on repository 
standards issues from the recent JTC1 Sydney plenary meeting 
(document WG22 N104 refers, considered in item 7 below).
6.3	SC22/WG9 - Ada
Liaison officer Mr. Dawes indicated that there is no news to 
report at present.
6.4	SC22/WG11 - Binding techniques
Liaison officer Mr. Dawes indicated that WG11 are meeting this 
week in København; there is no news to report yet.
Action 3.1 : Mr. Dawes
To provide WG22 with a copy of a draft from WG11 on guidelines 
for the production of language-independent service 
specifications. A first complete draft may already be 
available.
Status : carried-forward
6.5	SC22/WG14 - C and SC22/WG15 - POSIX and SC22/WG20 - Internationalization
No specific actions were seen as necessary at present (but see action 4.4 under item 8 below).
6.6	ECMA TC33 (addressed in joint session with ECMA TC33)
The minutes of the 36th meeting of ECMA TC33 held in November 1995 in Makuhari were noted as circulated (document WG22 N66). No specific items needed to be addressed this week that were not covered elsewhere on the agenda.
It was noted that Mr. Dawes had been appointed as Chairman of TC33, replacing Mr. Minot. Accordingly WG22 unanimously appointed Mr. Dawes as liaison officer from WG22 to ECMA TC33, replacing Mr. Minot. This was recorded in Resolution 4.2 (in annex B to these minutes). Appreciation was expressed to
 Mr. Minot for carrying out the liaison with ECMA TC33 in a 
first-rate fashion over the past two years (applause).
6.7	OMG
It was recalled from earlier initiatives that the OMG wish to 
apply for a Category C liaison status in SC22 (documents WG22 
N47 and N48 refer), and that an action had been taken to move 
forward :
Action 3.2 : Mr. Davis
To progress the mutual benefits document required for SC22 and 
JTC1 approval of Category C liaison status for OMG in SC22 with 
regard to WG22.
Status : not done (Mr. Davis apologized for not progressing 
this action, now superseded by new action 4.2 below)
Action 4.2 : Mr. Minot
To update the OMG liaison text for SC22/WG22 (WG22 N48) and 
send it to Dr. Jon Siegel, Director Domain Technology at OMG, 
with advice on how to proceed in obtaining Category C liaison 
status for OMG in SC22 with regard to WG22, if OMG interest is 
maintained.
Status : new
6.8	Other news (addressed in joint session with ECMA TC33)
It was noted that a JTC1-sponsored joint workshop on standards 
for the use of models that define the data and processes of 
information systems is to be held in Bellevue, Washington 
State, USA in September 1996, and that WG22 is invited. Some 
initial information on this workshop was provided (WG22 N102).
With regard to point 4 of the SC7/WG11 liaison report to WG22 
on PCTE Schema Definition Sets (WG22 N106), WG22 welcomed and 
appointed Mr. Davis as a representative to the joint workshop. 
This is recorded in Resolution 4.3 (in annex B to these 
minutes).
It was also agreed to take a broader and more general action in 
regard to the workshop :
Action 4.3 : Mr. Minot
To contact those responsible for arrangements for the joint 
workshop, and advise the interest and wish to participate from 
WG22 and to pre-register all WG22 members present.
Status : new
7	Follow-up of answer to JTC1 on repository standards issues
Action 3.16 : Mr. Dawes, Dr. Bird, Mr. Minot
To prepare the proposed final-form response on the repository standards issues and send to the SC22 Chairman for onwards forwarding to JTC1.
Status : done (WG22 N76)
Mr. Dawes and Mr. Minot reported on subsequent developments. The proposed joint SC21/SC22 position on repository standards work prepared following the previous meeting in Makuhari last November (WG22 N76) had been duly onwards-processed, resulting in a joint position of the SC21 and SC22 Chairmen 
as agreed at the recent JTC1 plenary meeting in Sydney, Australia (WG22 N104).
Appreciation was expressed to all who had contributed to achieving this highly satisfactory result.
Members interested were referred back to earlier papers and events (WG22 N10, covering documents SC22 N1786, JTC1 N3397, JTC1 N3162, and SC21 N8906, also item 11.1 of the SC22 Annapolis plenary minutes WG22 N57).
8	Follow-up of request for project subdivision for IDL binding
(addressed in joint session with ECMA TC33)
Action 3.6 : Mr. Brockway
To request SC22 approval of a new sub-project JTC1.22.47.5 for 
the IDL binding, giving explanatory rationale, and to express 
concern that SC21 had not advised the existence of the IDL CD 
14750 ballot.
Status : done (SC22 ballot currently in progress, with an 
end-date of 26 May 1996; document WG22 N81 : SC22 N2030 refers)
It was noted that publication by ECMA of the IDL binding, as 
Standard ECMA-230, had been delayed due to the need to complete 
final editorial work and further communicate with the OMG in 
regard to freedom of copyright. These actions now taken as 
complete, TC33 agreed to publish ECMA-230.
Action 3.7 : Mr. Brockway
To circulate Standard ECMA-230 to WG22 and SC22 as a document 
for information purposes.
Status : done immediately following the meeting (circulated to 
WG22 and SC22 under covering text as prepared and agreed by 
ECMA TC33 in document WG22 N113)
Action 3.8 : Mr. Brockway
To initiate discussion, via email among all WG22 members, on 
how best to proceed for ISO/IEC standardization of the PCTE IDL 
binding : via the CD route or by inviting fast-track of the 
ECMA standard.
Status : done (document WG22 N86 refers, circulated by email as 
SC22WG22.129)
Addressing Mr. Brockway's paper on the ISO/IEC standardization 
choice (WG22 N86), the following comments were made by members 
present :
France in WG22 has no objection to the use of the fast-track 
process in this case and will probably support a fast-track 
submission by ECMA;
Switzerland in WG22 favours the fast-track option, as likely to 
involve the least amount of work and time of expert resources, 
but seeks assurance that resources would be made available for 
addressing and resolving comments that might be made by member 
nations during a fast-track DIS ballot;
the United Kingdom in WG22 is mildly in favour of the use of 
the fast-track process in this case, and ICL as a member of 
TC33 is strongly in favour.
Responding to the comment from Switzerland on the need to ensure availability of resources, Mr. Dawes volunteered with thanks to take the function of Project Editor for the fast-track comment resolution process and, assisted by the ECMA Secretariat, preparation of the resulting final DIS text.
In conclusion as the way forward, WG22 invited ECMA to consider submitting the IDL binding standard ECMA-230 to JTC1 using the fast-track procedure, as a DIS for a new Part of ISO/IEC 13719.
Consequently ECMA TC33 decided to recommend to the ECMA General Assembly, next meeting in June 1996, that ECMA-230 be submitted to JTC1 by means of the fast-track process. After ECMA GA approval in June for this course of action, the fast-track submission would be initiated in July 1996.
As an afterthought, Dr. Bird indicated that the OMG are looking into the internationalization of CORBA IDL. This was briefly discussed, and the following questions were noted :
i)	what impact could this internationalization of CORBA IDL have on the future envisaged JTC1 DIS ballot on CORBA IDL (following the successful SC21 CD 14750 ballot) ?
ii)	questions as to the (in)compatibility of OMG's internationalization of CORBA IDL with respect to the internationalization work on PCTE already accomplished by ECMA and JTC1;
iii)	what impact could OMG's internationalization of CORBA IDL have on the intended JTC1 fast-track of ECMA-230 ?
Action 4.4 : Dr. Bird
To contact Mr. Simonsen, as WG22's liaison officer to SC22/WG20 on internationalization, in regard to points (i) and (ii) above, also noting the OMG RfP as indicated on the CD 14750 ballot version (SC21 N9827).
Status : new
Action 4.5 : Mr. Dawes
To advise the ECMA Secretariat in regard to point (iii) above, 
before the ECMA General Assembly meeting in June 1996.
Status : new
9	Fine-grain extensions (addressed in joint session with 
ECMA TC33)
Action 3.9 : Mr. Brockway
To circulate the three FG extensions standards ECMA-227 
(abstract specification), ECMA-228 (C binding) and ECMA-229 
(Ada binding) to WG22 members.
Status : done (in December 1995)
Action 3.10 : Mr. Davis
To put his one remaining outstanding FG comment on the WG22 
email reflector, with a suitable deadline (at least one month) 
for comments. A subsequent specific proposal may then be 
formulated, again with a suitable deadline (six weeks for 
example) for WG22 members to respond.
Status : carried-forward
A comment on concurrency and integrity control in the FG 
extensions abstract specification was reviewed (WG22 N95). WG22 
considered that a small, but normative, change is required.
Action 4.6 : Mr. Dawes
To write to the submitter of the comment (WG22 N95) on 
concurrency and integrity control in the FG extensions abstract 
specification, advising the decision taken by WG22, and then to 
input the result of WG22 discussion as commentary into the 
future SC22 PDAM ballot.
Status : new
10	Status of PDAM ballots on fine-grain extensions
Action 3.3 : Mr. Dawes
To transform the three ECMA FG extensions standards (ECMA-227, 
ECMA-228 and ECMA-229, for the abstract specification, C 
binding, and Ada binding respectively) into documents suitable 
for submission to SC22 for PDAM ballots, and to provide the 
WG22 Secretariat with electronic and printed copies of the 
three documents.
Status : done
Action 3.4 : Mr. Brockway
To then submit the three FG documents to the SC22 Secretariat 
with a request for PDAM ballots to be made and, in parallel to 
provide copies to the ITTF with a request for the ITTF to carry 
out a pre-edit exercise on the three documents.
Status : done (however, registration ballots are being conducted first within SC22, with an end-date of 30 May 1996; the SC22 PDAM ballots will follow)
The three SC22 ballot documents were noted as follows :
PDAM1 to ISO/IEC 13719-1 abstract specification (WG22 N78 : SC22 N2059);
PDAM1 to ISO/IEC 13719-2 C binding (WG22 N79 : SC22 N2060);
PDAM1 to ISO/IEC 13719-3 Ada binding (WG22 N80 : SC22 N2061).
11	Object-oriented extensions (addressed in joint session with ECMA TC33)
Action 4.7 : Mr. Brockway
To circulate the latest drafts of the envisaged ECMA standards 
on OO extensions to WG22 members.
Status : done immediately following the meeting (WG22 N90, N91, 
and N92, containing the abstract specification, C binding, and 
Ada binding respectively)
More for the benefit of TC33 members, Mr. Dawes introduced some 
queries (document TC33/96/18) on the OO extensions draft 
standards, pointing out that these queriers had been produced 
during the process in which the three current drafts had been 
prepared. The queries were quickly reviewed.
12	Submission of PDAMs on object-oriented extensions
(addressed in joint session with ECMA TC33)
Action 3.5 : Mr. Dawes
To prepare a draft plan on coordination of the timing of OO 
work and of approval processes in WG22, SC22, JTC1 and ECMA, 
for review by WG22 members.
Status : done (contained within document WG22 N105)
The overall plan was re-affirmed to submit three OO extensions 
documents (abstract specification, C binding, and Ada binding, 
corresponding to three future ECMA standards) to SC22 for 
ballots as PDAMs to ISO/IEC 13719-1, 13719-2 and 13719-3 
respectively.
The more specific plan prepared by Mr. Dawes (WG22 N105) was 
then reviewed and modified. It was considered that it might be 
possible to initiate concurrent registration and PDAM ballots 
in SC22 on the three documents in June or July 1996, and 
envisage publishing the three corresponding ECMA standards in 
December 1996.
Action 4.8 : Mr. Minot, Mr. Brockway
To contact the Chairman and Secretary of SC22 to pave the way 
(if possible according to SC22 procedures) for concurrent 
registration and approval ballots in SC22 on the three OO 
PDAMs, which can be expected to be ready for launching in June 
or July 1996.
Status : new
13	C++ binding : future ISO/IEC 13719-4 (addressed in 
joint session with ECMA TC33)
With sub-project JTC1.22.47.4 for the C++ binding approved by SC22 (by SC22 Annapolis Resolution 95-17), and with ECMA TC33 giving high priority to this work, the need for close coordination between WG22 and ECMA was recognized.
Action 3.11 : Mr. Dawes
To take all necessary initiatives to get work going on the C++ binding.
Status : initiated and therefore closed (see below)
Mr. Dawes referred to section 4.2 in his work programme paper (WG22 N105). Opinion differed as to whether the solution proposed is a neat way, or an untidy way, of producing a C++ binding via IDL, so a number of alternative ways forward were examined. Discussion was inconclusive, although all pres
ent recognized the importance of achieving a result.
Action 4.9 : Dr. Bird, Mr. Grosselin, Mr. Minot
To examine whether resources can be assigned for work on a C++ binding, either taking the CORBA C++ mapping route or otherwise.
Status : new
A recommendation on whether to use the CD route or to invite fast-track of a future ECMA standard was considered premature. Instead it was recognized that action needs to be focussed on getting the work progressed.
14	Query facility (addressed in joint session with ECMA 
TC33)
Dr. Bird introduced his contribution on an open systems SEE 
query language (WG22 N93). The contribution was reviewed with 
high interest, and WG22 and TC33 members gave their support to 
this work, resulting in the following action :
Action 4.10 : Dr. Bird, Mr. Dawes
To work together to bring the open systems SEE query language 
paper (WG22 N93) into the format of the ECMA and JTC1 
standardization world, for a PCTE query facility, with a view 
to progression as an ECMA standard and onwards processing in 
JTC1.
Status : new
A recommendation on whether to use the CD route or to invite 
fast-track of a future ECMA standard was considered premature. 
Instead it was recognized that action needs to be focussed on 
getting the work progressed.
15	Further subsetting (addressed in joint session with 
ECMA TC33)
There was no discussion this week. Contributions, for example 
on a minimal PCTE subset, may be made and considered in the 
future by WG22 and/or ECMA TC33.
16	PCTE conformance test specifications (addressed in 
joint session with ECMA TC33)
There was no presentation this week on the European CTS5 PCTE 
project (WG22 N77 refers), and the two open actions were 
declared closed :
Action 3.14 : Mr. Dawes
To provide to the WG22 Secretariat a covering explanatory 
letter to accompany the extract draft abstract test suite from 
the CTS5 PCTE project, indicating the proposed way forward in 
the standardization world.
Status : not done; declared closed
Action 3.15 : Mr. Brockway
When the above-mentioned covering explanatory letter becomes 
available, to circulate the extract draft abstract test suite 
and the letter to WG22 and ECMA TC33 members.
Status : done for the test suite (WG22 N85); declared closed 
for the letter
17	Handling of defects
Action 3.12 : Mr. Dawes
To circulate the proposals for defect handling through the WG22 email reflector, with a request for comments and suggestions, especially in regard to making the process as automatic as feasible.
Status : done (WG22 N84 and WG22 N62, as discussed below)
Mr. Dawes introduced his proposal for defect handling in SC22/WG22 (document WG22 N84 dated 6 February 1996, circulated by email as SC22WG22.124, and virtually identical to the earlier WG22 N62 dated 9 November 1995).
Mr. Dawes highlighted the separate proposals for handling existing and historic defect comments and newcoming defect comments, and explained how this would work.
Noted in particular was annex A to the proposal (WG22 N62) and also section 14.4.6 of the JTC1 Directives. The following were among decisions taken on how the defect report forms will be completed :
item 1, the defect report number, will take the form 13719/nnn, starting at 13719/001 for the first defect report and moving upwards contiguously through the integers;
all defect reports will be assigned WG22 N-numbers and will be circulated to WG22 members both by email and in paper form;
item 5, the date of circulation by the WG22 Secretariat, will be the email transmission date;
item 6, the deadline for response from the project editor, will 
be computed as the date of item 5 plus two months.
As to how to handle the historic and existing defect comments, 
the following action was agreed (also recorded in Resolution 
4.4 in annex B to these minutes), with thanks to Mr. Dawes for 
the work involved :
Action 4.11 : Mr. Dawes
To prepare one single defect report to cover all EP comments 
pre- and post- EP-5000, leading eventually to a Technical 
Corrigendum to ISO/IEC 13719. This single defect report will be 
a simple form referencing the larger document where all 
comments, resolutions, and accompanying rationale for 
resolutions, are documented, this being a new and up-to-date 
version of the previous document (WG22 N61).
Status : new
It was agreed that the new JTC1/SC22-compliant procedure for 
defect handling can now apply with immediate effect, to all 
future defects reported, as proposed by Mr. Dawes (in WG22 N84 
and WG22 N62).
18	Resolution of defects
This item occupied a major portion of this week's meeting, and 
resulted in resolution of almost all reported defects.
Discussion was based on the following input documents :
comments received on ISO/IEC 13719 : comments version 3 dated 
12 September 1995 (email SC22WG22.122, 123 and 125) (WG22 N61), 
compiled by Mr. Dawes;
discussion on outstanding comments on ISO/IEC 13719 (email 
SC22WG22.134) (WG22 N97) from Mr. Dawes;
comments on references in ISO/IEC 13719 (email SC22WG22.135) 
(WG22 N98) from Mr. Dawes;
discussion on ISO PCTE comments (email SC22WG22.138) (WG22 N99) 
from Dr. Bird;
discussion on outstanding comments on ISO/IEC 13719 (WG22 N101) 
from Dr. Bird;
regarding character sets in ISO PCTE (email SC22WG22.133) (WG22 
N96) from Mr. Simonsen:
input from Mr. Yoshino on the multi-byte issue (email 
SC22WG22.137).
Action 4.12 : Mr. Dawes
To record the results of resolution of defects from the London meeting in a separate paper.
Status : new
Open actions from previous WG22 meetings were then reviewed as follows :
Action 1.11 : WG22 members with actions on review of comments
To pursue the actions identified for resolving comments in item 6.1 of the WG22 1st meeting minutes (WG22 N16).
Status : done
Action 1.12 : Mr. Yoshino, Mr. Simonsen, Dr. Bird
For the way forward on comment EP-4310 on multi-byte character set, Mr. Yoshino, Mr. Simonsen and Dr. Bird agreed to pursue the remaining details to be resolved by email.
Status : in progress but the action remains open (an email 
received from Mr. Yoshino (email SC22WG22.137) expressed his 
willingness to contribute on the issue and to discuss via 
email)
Action 3.13 : WG22 members
To review, comment on, and express a preference for one of the 
options for alternate character synonym possibilities given by 
Mr. Dawes (in document WG22 N29), by email through the WG22 
reflector before a deadline of end-December 1995.
Status : closed (no comments were received so the original 
proposal made by Mr. Dawes was taken as accepted)
19	Review of PCTE information on the Web (addressed in 
joint session with ECMA TC33)
SC22 Annapolis Resolutions 95-36 and 95-38 were first recalled 
(in document WG22 N56 : SC22 N1970), and actions recorded at 
the previous WG22 meeting in Makuhari in November 1995 :
Action 3.17 : Mr. Minot
With regard to SC22 Annapolis Resolution 95-36, to confirm the 
situation with Mr. Simonsen and report back to SC22.
Status : carried-forward
Action 3.18 : Mr. Simonsen
The Web page created with thanks by Mr. Simonsen looked good to 
WG22 members; it was suggested and agreed that an additional 
link be made to the OMG Liaison SC's Web page when it's set up.
Status : carried-forward
Action 3.19 : Mr. Dawes
To ascertain the future of the PCTE Association's Web page and 
initiate action to ensure continuity.
Status : underway, awaiting further news; the specific action 
was closed
A brief review was then made of all PCTE information on various 
Web sites, on SC22, WG22, ECMA TC33, the PCTE Association, and 
on OMG Web pages. With regard to the ECMA TC33 Web page, the 
following action was taken by Mr. Dawes :
Action 4.13 : Mr. Dawes
To prepare a list of current news items concerning PCTE and 
ECMA TC33, to circulate via email to all TC33 members, and then 
to contact Mr. Lauri (Webmaster at the ECMA Secretariat) to 
include the agreed news items on the ECMA TC33 Web page.
Status : new
20	Dates and locations of next meetings
It was agreed to hold the next, 5th meeting of WG22 on 16-17 September 1996, in Hyannis, Cape Cod, near Boston, in the context of a week of co-located OMG meetings. The following schedule was provisionally agreed, noting that overlaps with relevant OMG group meetings need to be avoided and that th
e schedule, and the actual days of WG22 and ECMA TC33 meetings, may need to be revised when the detailed OMG schedule becomes known :
Monday 16 September (morning) :	WG22 5th plenary meeting
Monday 16 September (afternoon) :	joint meeting of WG22 and ECMA TC33
Tuesday 17 September (morning) :	ECMA TC33 38th meeting
Tuesday 17 September (afternoon) :	joint meeting of WG22 and ECMA TC33
Action 4.14 : Mr. Brockway
To contact Ms. Bissonnette, OMG Meeting Manager, to request a 
meeting room for the WG22 and TC33 meetings.
Status : done during the meeting (a provisional booking has 
been made for a meeting room on 16-17 September, to be 
confirmed when the final schedule becomes determined)
Action 4.15 : Mr. Minot
To ascertain the schedule of OMG meetings in Hyannis during the 
week of 16-20 September 1996, in order to avoid overlaps 
between key OMG group meetings and WG22 and TC33, and to 
propose any revision that might be necessary to the presently 
envisaged WG22 and TC33 meeting schedule.
Status : new
Action 4.16 : Mr. Brockway
To obtain first preliminary and then final-form venue and 
logistics information from the OMG for the Hyannis meetings.
Status : new
Action 4.17 : Mr. Dawes, Mr. Minot, Mr. Brockway
To prepare agendas and working schedules for the WG22, TC33 and 
joint meetings in Hyannis, and to circulate venue notices and 
agendas to WG22, SC22 and ECMA TC33 in due time.
Status : new
Looking further ahead, the date of 3-4 March 1997 was 
tentatively set for co-located meetings of WG22 and ECMA TC33, 
at a European location. Arrangements will be made in due 
course.
21	Back-ups for project editors
This agenda item had been included to address the need for 
back-ups for project editors for all projects and deliverables 
in WG22. However, WG22 members collectively were not clear as 
to exactly what the back-up requirements are. The Secretary 
expressed his understanding that back-up volunteer persons 
should be identified to take over the tasks of all WG22 project 
editors in the event of a resignation of a current project 
editor. Other WG22 members thought that the back-up requirement 
is limited to ensuring that back-up copies of document files 
are adequately maintained, but that individual persons willing 
and able to act as back-ups need not necessarily be identified 
in advance.
Due to this lack of common understanding, the issue was deferred until the next WG22 meeting in Hyannis in September 1996.
Action 4.18 : Mr. Minot
To include an agenda item for the next WG22 meeting on the need for back-ups for project editors.
Status : new
22	Other business (addressed in joint session with ECMA TC33)
22.1	CEN transposition of ISO/IEC 13719
Documents on the CEN transposition of ISO/IEC 13719 were noted (WG22 N87, N88 and N89).
22.2	An open system architecture for a scaleable and extensible software engineering environment
Dr. Bird provided copies of a paper on this subject for the information of WG22 and ECMA TC33 members (WG22 N94).
22.3	WG22 email reflector
The situation regarding the email reflector for WG22 was 
reviewed. The reflector provided by Mr. Simonsen at DKUUG 
continues to be operational but ECMA has set up its own email 
reflector. WG22 members considered that, to avoid duplication 
of effort and costs, and to avoid confusion, there should be 
one and only one email reflector. The relative merits of the 
two reflectors, DKUUG and ECMA, were reviewed and the following 
action agreed upon :
Action 4.19 : Mr. Dawes
To contact the ECMA Secretary General Mr. van den Beld, with 
copy to Mr. Lauri and Mr. Simonsen, to advise that WG22 wishes 
to continue to use the DKUUG email reflector, and delete the 
ECMA reflector, in view of :
i)	sequence numbers already implemented in the DKUUG 
reflector but not in the ECMA reflector,
ii)	there being no in-built size limits on messages passing 
via the DKUUG reflector whereas the ECMA reflector would 
operate with a message size limit, and
iii)	a degree of already established familiarity in 
worldwide use of the DKUUG reflector.
These points will also be mentioned in the TC33 Chairman's 
report to the ECMA Coordinating Committee, meeting on 14-15 May 
1996.
Status : new
For TC33 members, Mr. Dawes reported that the TC33 email 
reflector operated until now by ICL is no longer operational. 
Instead, messages for TC33 members should therefore be directed 
to the ECMA TC33 email reflector, for which the address is : 
[email-masked]
22.4	Paragraph reference numbers in ISO/IEC publications
Mr. Dawes drew attention to the outcome of the issue as to 
whether paragraph reference numbers can be permitted in ISO/IEC 
publications (WG22 N55 : SC22 N1967 and WG22 N70 : SC22 N1997 
refer), an issue finally resolved with satisfaction thanks to 
the initiatives taken by WG22.
22.5	Publication of fast-tracked ISO/IEC DISs in their 
original format
Mr. Dawes drew attention to the outcome of the issue as to whether a fast-tracked DIS can be published by ISO/IEC in the original format of the submitter (WG22 N74 : SC22 N2005 : JTC1 N3739 refers). Notwithstanding this situation, Mr. Brockway indicated that the ECMA Secretariat will readily under
take conversions from ECMA to ISO/IEC publication styles, but added that these conversions can only be made if the documents are made available in a widely-used electronic form (Word for Windows for example rather than TROFF).
In this regard, Dr. Bird volunteered with thanks to explore the possibilities for converting the PCTE C binding publication (ISO/IEC 13719-2 idem ECMA-158) from TROFF to Word as an exercise in his spare time. WG22 and TC33 members expressed their appreciation in advance, and look forward to hearin
g how things go.
No other business was raised.
23	Close of meeting
Thanks were expressed to Mr. Dawes and BSI for hosting the meetings in London; the facilities were excellent and all participants greatly enjoyed the visit. Appreciations were recorded in Resolution 4.5 (in annex B to these minutes).

Annex AAttendance4th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG22 - PCTELondon,  United Kingdom,  15-17 April 1996

France
Mr. R. Minot (Convenor)

Switzerland
Mr. C. Brockway (Secretariat)

United Kingdom
Dr. B.D. Bird
Mr. H.F. Davis
Mr. S.J. Dawes (Project Editor)

Liaison with ECMA
Mr. S.J. Dawes

Annex B
Resolutions adopted at
4th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG22 - PCTE
London,  United Kingdom,  15-17 April 1996

Resolution 4.1 : Support for PCTE Schema Definition Sets
SC22/WG22 expresses its support for the work on PCTE Schema 
Definition Sets being driven by Mr. H.F. Davis (United Kingdom) 
as liaison officer from JTC1/SC7/WG11, including the mapping 
strategy for deriving PCTE SDSs from CDIF subject areas, and a 
number of particular PCTE SDSs.
Unanimous
Resolution 4.2 : Nomination of new liaison officer to ECMA TC33
SC22/WG22 appoints Mr. S.J. Dawes (United Kingdom) as liaison 
officer from SC22/WG22 to ECMA TC33, replacing Mr. R. Minot 
(France) who had to relinquish this function.
Unanimous
Resolution 4.3 : Nomination of representatives to Bellevue 
joint workshop
SC22/WG22 appoints Mr. H.F. Davis (United Kingdom) as WG22 
representative to the JTC1-sponsored joint workshop on 
standards for the use of models that define the data and 
processes of information systems, to be held in Bellevue, 
Washington State, USA in September 1996. SC22/WG22 hopes also 
to provide other representatives in due course.
Unanimous
Resolution 4.4 : Preparation of defect report
SC22/WG22 instructs its Project Editor Mr. S.J. Dawes (United 
Kingdom) to prepare a single defect report to cover all 
historic comments made on ISO/IEC 13719, leading eventually to 
a Technical Corrigendum. The defect report will reference a 
larger document where all comments, resolutions, and 
accompanying rationale for resolutions, are documented.
Unanimous
Resolution 4.5 : Appreciations
SC22/WG22 members express their appreciation to all who helped 
make this a well-organized and successful meeting, despite the 
low attendance, in particular :
to John Dawes and BSI for organizing and hosting the meeting at 
the BSI Offices in West London;
to the support staff at BSI for their professionalism, 
efficiency, friendliness, and fine cooking;
to Hugh Davis for taking precious time to present a number of 
attractive and well-worked proposals to the meeting on the eve 
of a long journey across Asia;
to Régis Minot for Chairing the meeting on the first day, and 
to John Dawes for Chairing the meeting on the second and third 
days, this with efficiency and good humour.
Unanimous

Annex C
Summary of open actions
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG22 - PCTE

All open actions from the present and previous minutes are indicated below. Those concerned by these actions should refer to the accompanying discussion, and to any applicable target dates for the actions, as given in the minutes.
Action 1.12 : Mr. Yoshino, Mr. Simonsen, Dr. Bird
For the way forward on comment EP-4310 on multi-byte character set, Mr. Yoshino, Mr. Simonsen and Dr. Bird agreed to pursue the remaining details to be resolved by email.
Action 3.1 : Mr. Dawes
To provide WG22 with a copy of a draft from WG11 on guidelines for the production of language-independent service specifications. A first complete draft may already be available.
Action 3.10 : Mr. Davis
To put his one remaining outstanding FG comment on the WG22 
email reflector, with a suitable deadline (at least one month) 
for comments. A subsequent specific proposal may then be 
formulated, again with a suitable deadline (six weeks for 
example) for WG22 members to respond.
Action 3.17 : Mr. Minot
With regard to SC22 Annapolis Resolution 95-36, to confirm the 
situation with Mr. Simonsen and report back to SC22.
Action 3.18 : Mr. Simonsen
The Web page created with thanks by Mr. Simonsen looked good to 
WG22 members; it was suggested and agreed that an additional 
link be made to the OMG Liaison SC's Web page when it's set up.
Action 4.1 : Mr. Dawes
To study what if anything needs to be done in using DDL to 
define standard SDSs.
Action 4.2 : Mr. Minot
To update the OMG liaison text for SC22/WG22 (WG22 N48) and 
send it to Dr. Jon Siegel, Director Domain Technology at OMG, 
with advice on how to proceed in obtaining Category C liaison 
status for OMG in SC22 with regard to WG22, if OMG interest is 
maintained.
Action 4.3 : Mr. Minot
To contact those responsible for arrangements for the 
JTC1-sponsored joint workshop in Bellevue, Washington State in 
September 1996 on standards for the use of models that define 
the data and processes of information systems. In particular, 
to advise the interest and wish to participate from WG22 and to 
pre-register interested WG22 members.
Action 4.4 : Dr. Bird
To contact Mr. Simonsen, as WG22's liaison officer to SC22/WG20 
on internationalization, in regard to what impact OMG's 
internationalization of CORBA IDL could have on the future 
envisaged JTC1 DIS ballot on CORBA IDL (following the 
successful SC21 CD 14750 ballot), also noting the OMG RfP as 
indicated on the CD 14750 ballot version (SC21 N9827), and also 
in regard to (in)compatibility of OMG's internationalization of 
CORBA IDL with respect to the internationalization work on PCTE 
already accomplished by ECMA and JTC1.
Action 4.5 : Mr. Dawes
To advise the ECMA Secretariat on the impact that OMG's internationalization of CORBA IDL could have on the intended JTC1 fast-track of ECMA-230, before the ECMA General Assembly meeting in June 1996.
Action 4.6 : Mr. Dawes
To write to the submitter of the comment (WG22 N95) on concurrency and integrity control in the FG extensions abstract specification, advising the decision taken by WG22, and then to input the result of WG22 discussion as commentary into the future SC22 PDAM ballot.
Action 4.8 : Mr. Minot, Mr. Brockway
To contact the Chairman and Secretary of SC22 to pave the way 
(if possible according to SC22 procedures) for concurrent 
registration and approval ballots in SC22 on the three OO 
PDAMs, which can be expected to be ready for launching in June 
or July 1996.
Action 4.9 : Dr. Bird, Mr. Grosselin, Mr. Minot
To examine whether resources can be assigned for work on a C++ 
binding, either taking the CORBA C++ mapping route or 
otherwise.
Action 4.10 : Dr. Bird, Mr. Dawes
To work together to bring the open systems SEE query language 
paper (WG22 N93) into the format of the ECMA and JTC1 
standardization world, for a PCTE query facility, with a view 
to progression as an ECMA standard and onwards processing in 
JTC1.
Action 4.11 : Mr. Dawes
To prepare one single defect report to cover all EP comments 
pre- and post- EP-5000, leading eventually to a Technical 
Corrigendum to ISO/IEC 13719. This single defect report will be 
a simple form referencing the larger document where all 
comments, resolutions, and accompanying rationale for 
resolutions, are documented, this being a new and up-to-date 
version of the previous document (WG22 N61).
Action 4.12 : Mr. Dawes
To record the results of resolution of defects from the London 
meeting in a separate paper.
Action 4.13 : Mr. Dawes
To prepare a list of current news items concerning PCTE and 
ECMA TC33, to circulate via email to all TC33 members, and then 
to contact Mr. Lauri (Webmaster at the ECMA Secretariat) to 
include the agreed news items on the ECMA TC33 Web page.
Action 4.15 : Mr. Minot
To ascertain the schedule of OMG meetings in Hyannis during the 
week of 16-20 September 1996, in order to avoid overlaps 
between key OMG group meetings and WG22 and TC33, and to 
propose any revision that might be necessary to the presently 
envisaged WG22 and TC33 meeting schedule.
Action 4.16 : Mr. Brockway
To obtain first preliminary and then final-form venue and 
logistics information from the OMG for the Hyannis meetings.
Action 4.17 : Mr. Dawes, Mr. Minot, Mr. Brockway
To prepare agendas and working schedules for the WG22, TC33 and 
joint meetings in Hyannis, and to circulate venue notices and 
agendas to WG22, SC22 and ECMA TC33 in due time.
Action 4.18 : Mr. Minot
To include an agenda item for the next WG22 meeting on the need 
for back-ups for project editors.
Action 4.19 : Mr. Dawes
To contact the ECMA Secretary General Mr. van den Beld, with 
copy to Mr. Lauri and Mr. Simonsen, to advise that WG22 wishes 
to continue to use the DKUUG email reflector, and delete the 
ECMA reflector, in view of :
i)	sequence numbers already implemented in the DKUUG 
reflector but not in the ECMA reflector,
ii)	there being no in-built size limits on messages passing 
via the DKUUG reflector whereas the ECMA reflector would 
operate with a message size limit, and
iii)	a degree of already established familiarity in 
worldwide use of the DKUUG reflector.
These points will also be mentioned in the TC33 Chairman's 
report to the ECMA Coordinating Committee, meeting on 14-15 May 
1996.