Subject: [[email-masked]: (SC22docs.1069) Sc 22 N 3192, Corrected Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3162]

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:23:32 +0100

Hi!

here is the SC22 ballot response on 14766

keld

----- Forwarded message from Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]> -----

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Simonsen, Keld'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: (SC22docs.1069) Sc 22 N 3192, Corrected Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3162
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:18:56 -0500 

Below is the corrected version of SC 22 N 3192.  The previous version of
this document recorded the USA vote incorrectly.  This has now been changed.
Please discard the previously sent version of SC 22 N 3192.

_______ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N 3192
TITLE:
Corrected Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3162, PDTR Registration Ballot for
PDTR 14766, Guidelines for POSIX National Profiles and National Locales
DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-12-07

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting
PROJECT NUMBER:
22.14766
STATUS:
WG 15 is requested to prepare the document for PDTR letter ballot taking
into account the National Body comments received.
ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC 22; action to WG 15

DUE DATE:
N/A
DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
<mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > 

_______ end of title page; beginning of summary ______________
	SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3162
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            2000-08-30
Closing Date:                 2000-11-30

SUBJECT:	Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3162, PDTR Registration Ballot
for PDTR 14766, Guidelines for POSIX National Profiles and National Locales
____________________________________________________________________________
____________
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:
"P" Members supporting approval without comment                   
5 (Germany, Ireland, Rep. of Korea, Netherlands, Russian Federation)

"P" Members supporting approval with comments 
2 (Canada, Norway)

Canadian comment- 
1) Pages 1 through 7 should be renumbered i through vii. Page 8 would then
become page 1.
2) Replace sections 1 through 4 in their entirety with the attached (see
attachment 1). Renumber subsequent sections as required. 

Norwegian comment-
We will deliver a Norwegian profile and locale for the CD.  We will give
further comments for the development of the CD.

 "P" Members not supporting approval       0

"P" Members abstaining                    
2 (Denmark, Sweden)
"P" Members not voting                    
13 (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China, Czech Rep., Egypt, France, Japan,
Romania, Slovenia, Ukraine, UK, USA)

Attachment 1 - Canadian Comments

1	Overview
1.1	Scope

This Technical Report provides guidelines for ISO Member Bodies in the
process of making POSIX National Profiles and National Locales for the
ISO/IEC 9945 series of POSIX standards. 

POSIX National Profiles provide requirements for making POSIX suitable for
the culture, by specifying options needed of the POSIX standards and
national standards to be applied.  Implementers can then comply with the
POSIX National Profile to make their product suited for the market, and ISO
member bodies can facilitate procurement by making POSIX National Profiles
that are national standards.  Users can obtain products that are suited for
their needs and with consistent behaviour across applications and platforms.
A POSIX National Profile may include National Locale specifications.

National Locales specify options to POSIX standards in POSIX locale format,
on data that varies culturally.  Applications can be written in an
internationally portable way by removing hard-coded culturally dependent
data or functions, and using the POSIX National Locale data instead.
Implementers can, using the National Locales, be relieved from specifying
the often very complex internationalization data themselves and instead rely
on a credible source such as the ISO Member bodies.  Users can benefit from
products that are suited for their cultural needs and obtain consistent
behaviour across applications and platforms.  ISO member bodies can
facilitate this process and provide procurement specifications via national
standards for National Locales.

Note: Hereafter through this document, for simplicity of wording, the word
National Profile is used as synonym of the word POSIX National Profile,
unless otherwise stated.

2	General
2.1	Normative References

The following normative documents contain provisions, which, through
reference in this text, constitute provisions of this Technical Report.  For
dated references, subsequent amendments to, or revisions of, any of these
publications do not apply.  However, parties to agreements based on this
Technical Report are encouraged to investigate the possibility of applying
the most recent editions of the normative documents indicated below.  For
undated references, the latest edition of the normative document referred to
applies.  Members of ISO and IEC maintain registers of currently valid
International Standards.

ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996, Information technology - Portable Operating System
Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) [C
Language].

ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993, Information technology - Portable Operating System
Interface (POSIX) - Part 2: Shell and Utilities. 

ISO/IEC 646:1991, Information technology - ISO 7-bit coded character set for
information interchange.

ISO/IEC 2022:1994, Information technology - Character code structure and
extension techniques.

ISO 4217:1995, Codes for the representation of currencies and funds.

ISO 8601:1988, Data elements and interchange formats - Information
interchange -Representation of dates and times.

ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000, Information technology - Universal Multiple-Octet
Coded Character Set (UCS)

ISO/IEC FDIS 14651, Information technology - International string ordering -
Method for comparing character strings and description of a default
tailor-able ordering.

ISO/IEC 8859, Information technology - 8-bit single-byte coded graphic
character sets - Part 1, ..., 10, 13, 14, 15.

ISO/IEC Directives: 1997, Procedures for the technical work of ISO/IEC JTC 1
on information technology.

ISO/IEC Directives Part 2, Methodology for the development of International
Standards.

ISO/IEC Directives Part 3:1989, Drafting and presentation of International
Standards.

ISO/IEC 9899:1999, Information technology - Programming language - C.

ISO/IEC TR 14262:1995, Information technology - Guide to the POSIX Open
Systems Environment.

IEEE P1003.18/D13 (September 1996), Information technology - POSIX Profile.

IEEE 1003.23-1998 User ¼ Profiles

ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1998, Information technology - Framework and taxonomy of
International Standardized Profiles - Part 1: Framework.

ISO/IEC TR 10000-2:1998, Information technology - Framework and taxonomy of
International Standardized Profiles - Part 2: Principles and Taxonomy for
OSI Profiles.

ISO/IEC TR 10000-3:1998, Information technology - Framework and taxonomy of
International Standardized Profiles - Part 3: Principles and Taxonomy for
Open System Environment Profiles.

ISO/IEC DTR 14652, Information technology - Specification method for
cultural conventions.

ISO/IEC 15897:1999, Information technology - Procedures for registration of
cultural elements.

ISO/IEC TR 11017:1998, Information technology - Framework for
Internationalization.

2.2	Conformance

In accordance with the precedent of ISO/IEC 14252: 1995, it is not
appropriate to claim conformance to this Technical Report because it
contains no mandatory requirements.  Thus, conformance testing to this
Technical Report is not applicable.

2.2	Methods

Test methods are not applicable to a Technical Report.

For testing a National Profile with its National Locale, it is often a good
idea to provide test data for some functionality, especially the collating
specification.  This could be done by providing an unsorted file and a
correctly sorted file.

It will probably be unmanageable to provide a test suite for all of the
standards referenced by a National Profile.

3	Terminology

3.1	Conventions

[Describe the specific editorial and typographical conventions used in the
document, including the specific fonts used such as in section 7.]

3.2	Definitions

3.2.1	Terms

Profile: A set of one or more base standards, International Standardized
Profiles (ISPs) and, where applicable, the identification of chosen classes,
conforming subsets, options and parameters of those base standards, or ISPs
necessary to accomplish a particular function (10000-1).

POSIX profile: A profile for an International Standard is a set of
specifications of the parameters, the selections of the optional items and
the recommendations of the implementation related matters.  A POSIX Profile
corresponds to the profile concept for the POSIX International Standard.

POSIX National Profile: A POSIX National Profile is a POSIX profile that is
strongly related to the cultural dependent aspects of POSIX.  It also
contains the definitions and recommendations for the usage of national or
regional standards that support the handling of the national or area
specific aspects, e.g. the use of the coded character sets.

POSIX National Locale: A National Locale is a part of a National Profile,
which gives profile options in the POSIX localedef format. 

Conformance to a POSIX National Profile: The concept of the degree of the
preciseness of the coincidence between the specifications of a realized
POSIX system and the POSIX National Profile.  Since the POSIX National
Profile is not necessarily included in the POSIX Profile, systems that
conform to the POSIX National Profile may not pass the POSIX Conformance
requirements.

National Standards Profile: A National Standards Profile (NSP) is a profile
of an international standard or set of international standards, possibly
together with other specifications, that is adopted by an ISO member body as
a national standard.

Internationalization (I18N): A process of producing an application platform
or application that is easily capable of being localized for (almost) any
cultural environment.  (Note that an internationalized information system
does not have a dependency on any specific culture, unless it is localized
to that selected culture.)  (TR 11017)

Localization  (L10N): A process of adapting an internationalized application
platform or application to a specific cultural environment.  In
localization, the same semantics are preserved, while the syntax may be
changed.  (TR 11017)

Portability (source code): The ability that an application can perform with
same results on different application platforms, without changing the
program source code.

Locale: The definition of the subset of the environment of a user that
depends on language and culture conventions.  (9945-2) 

Localedef: [Insert definition of localedef.]

Charmap: A character set description file, for use with a locale.  (9945-2)

International Standardized Profile: An internationally agreed-to, harmonized
document that describes one or more profiles (10000-1).

3.2.2	Acronyms and Abbreviations

DTR: Draft Technical Report

FDIS: Final Draft International Standard

I18N: Internationalization

ISP: International Standardized Profile

JTC: Joint Technical Committee

L10N: Localization 

NSP: National Standards Profile 

OSI: 

PAS: Publicly Available Specification

TR: Technical Report

UCS: Universal Multiple-Octet Coded Character Set
___________ end of summary _____________

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
<mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > 

----- End forwarded message -----