Subject: Comments on 14766 WD4

From: "D. J. Blackwood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:13:46 -0400

The following, primarily editorial comments are offered on the 14766 WD4 as
distributed July 24, 2000 in PDF format:

Rename section 1 "Overview" and move existing text to a new section "1.1
Scope".  Additional text (essentially an executive summary) may be added to
a future section 1.2.  In the absence of this text leave 2.2 out of the
document for now.

Merge sections 2 and 3 into a single section 2 titled "General" and renumber
all subsequent sections and related cross-references.

Move section 3 "References" to section "2.1 Normative References".

On page 4, renumber and rename section 2 "Conformance and testing" to be
"2.2 Conformance" and replace the first paragraph and the Editor's note with
the following:

"In accordance with the precedent of ISO/IEC 14252: 1995 (*) , it is not
appropriate to claim conformance to this Technical Report because it
contains no mandatory requirements. Thus conformance testing to this
Technical Report is not applicable."

and add the footnote:

"(*) For information on references, see 3."

The asterisk (*) should be replaced by the appropriate footnote number.

Immediately following the above insert a section "2.3 Methods" and add the
following text:

"Test methods are not applicable to a Technical Report."

Leave the final two paragraphs in the current section 2 related to testing
profiles and locales as paragraphs 2 and 3 in this new section 2.3.

Rename section 4 to Terminology" and renumber it section 3.  Add a new
section, "3.1 Conventions".  In this section describe the specific editorial
and typographical conventions used in the document, including any specific
fonts used such as in section 7.  Add new sections 3.2 "Definitions", 3.2.1
"Terms", and 3.2.2 "Acronyms and Abbreviations".  Renumber the various terms
3.2.1.x and acronyms and abbreviations 3.2.2.x as appropriate.  Any
definitions taken from other documents should include a reference to the
originating document.  For example, ISO/IEC 14252: 1995 defines the term
"locale(s)", therefore this document should use the same definition of
locale(s) and include the reference "(ISO/IEC 14252: 1995)" at the end of
the definition.

On page 10 remove section 6.5 and the editorial note following and renumber
all subsequent sections and related cross-references.  Is the correct title
for section 6.4 the one used in 6.4 or the one used in 6.5?

Please provide access to Annexes A, B, F, and G via the iso14766 web page.
It would be useful to be able to piece together a complete document
including these annexes.

Additional comments will follow.

Dave
--
D. J. Blackwood, Chair
Canadian POSIX Working Group