Subject: Re: (SC22WG15.1287) progression of 14766

From: "D. J. Blackwood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 98 10:49:25 EDT

> I wrote some time ago:
> 
> > Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 14:18:59 +0200
> > 
> > I have now completed my editing round on the comments from the Dallas
> > meeting, so here is the resulting draft (WD3). Please submit comments to
> > me or the list before 1998-06-26. 
> > 
> > The draft is also available in Word perfect 5.1 format (which can be
> > read by microsoft Word and other packages) in the file
> > http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg15/iso14766/gnp3.wp
> 
> Well, I have had no comments, so I will propose that we can progress
> the document. I hereby propose to conduct a WG15 email ballot
> to send the document for PDTR registration ballot.
> 
> Kind regards
> Keld Simonsen
> Editor 14766.

On a third attempt I was able to retrieve the document in a readable
format.  My comments follow:

1. Since the base document was a working draft of an IEEE PASC working
group, it is inappropriate for ISO/IEC copyright to be claimed for it.

2. The entire document requires a major editorial review for correct
English.  In some cases the meaning is even obscured by the incorrect
wording.

3. Section 2 references a paragraph that I am to provide, the source
document for which is a draft IEEE standard.  Intellectual property
issues need to be resolved (see 1. above) before this can occur.

4. Section 10.1 references ISO/IEC 15897 which does not exist as an
approved IS.

5. The draft does not contain all of the discussed changes from each of
the last two working group meetings.

Substantial work is required before this document can be progressed
further.

Dave
-- 
D. J. Blackwood
Manager, Internet Services               Room 2169, 875 Heron Road
Information Highway Initiatives Division Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0L5
Revenue Canada                           Voice: 613 957-9305  Fax: 613 941-2257
                                         Internet: [email-masked]