Subject: wg15 ad hoc on national profiles and locales 9804

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 01:31:00 +0200

Meeting of WG15 ad hoc on national profiles 
Dallas, Texas, USA, 1998-04-23 09:00-12:00

1. Selection of chair and secretary:

Chair: David Blackwood, Secretary: Keld Simonsen

2. Roll call of experts:

David Blackwood, CA
Keld Simonsen, DK

3. Minutes of WG15 ad hoc meeting 1997-10-23

Approved.

4. Agenda:

Agenda
Actions from last meeting
Organisation
Walkthru of WD2
Plan
Next meeting

agenda agreed.

5. Actions from last meeting:

Professor Saito will provide the Japanese profile to the
editor. -open
Editor to provide WD2 - done
Keld Simonsen to set up email list - done
Keld Simonsen will distribute the minutes to WG15. - done

6. Organisation.

Should we withdraw the par? Probably not, but it is up to WG15 to
discuss.

What to do with P1003.23? David suggested we look at it for
possible inclusion.
 
What to do with P1003.18? Should be circulated.

How to progress it in IEEE? Is there a ballot group formed? This
will be formed when we have a draft that is ready for balloting.

CEN: There has been formed 2 project teams in TC304, one on
European locales, and one on collection of cultural information,
which both have been asking for guidance on how to create
locales. They should be invited to the email list and to attend
the meetings. AI: KS.

P1003.18 and P1003.23 should be sent to the list. KS to make
P1003.23 available to the email list. 
P1003.18 DB will get source and make it available.

7. TR 14766 WD2 walk through

Keld Simonsen has provided a second draft, WD2. It incorporates
the changes decided at the last meeting.

Walkthru of the WD2:

2. references should be updated. - updated, but still needs some
updates.

3.1.4 changed to Conformance to POSIX national profiles - done

Add National Standards Profiles (NSP) definition
Say that a NSP is a standard approved by an ISO member body. -
Done, but we elaborations: add ISP to 3.1 and 3.2.

3.2 terms will be expanded. - not done. We will make all terms
our own, and also reference TR 11017. Look at TR 11017 key terms
for possible inclusion.

5. or 6. An explanation of POSIX national profiles to ISPs and TR
10000 will be included. Done - explain that NSPs can reference
ISPs but not the other way around.

in 6.3 maybe text from TR 10000-2 section 6.3 will be included.
not done.

6.3 will refer to the CEN ENV 12005 cultural registry currently
under fast track in JTC1. done in 6.2 - Refine 6.2 to say that it
is the locale objects that may be registered. WG15 should not be
listed as a registration authority, but possibly as a source of
information.

6.5 will contain text essentially taken from 6.4 - done

6.7 will be rewritten so that only cultural services from the NSP
will be used in addition to internationalised services. - done

8. will be rewritten so that Danish experiences will be examples,
and proper guidelines be made. - done

8.6  the euro double-currency will be mentioned - not done -
mention that it is out of the capabilities of the current POSIX-2
standard.

8.8 the Greek example "Ne" = yes will be mentioned. - not done

POSIX will be replaced with ref to 9945-2, and other references
will be updated to refer ISO documents whenever possible. - done
but some may still be changed.

Contents of the TR:

1. scope
2. normative references
3. definitions
4. abbreviations
5. Purpose of profiles and locales
6. concept of profile
7. contents of profile
8. concept of locale
9. contents of locale
10. using templates
11. conformance and benchmarks
Annexes
A. POSIX locale extract
B. symbolic names
C. Tools
D. 10646 guidance
E. Registry data
F. Example: Japan
G. Example: Denmark
H. Bibliography
I. Index

Done- but remove 11, and add "charmap" clauses. 
Add clause on testing, saying that there may be a need to test
specific areas of the NSP, for example sorting, and selected
cultural support, but probably not the whole set of standards
referenced.

New things:

Make two new sections on concept and contents of charmap.

In 9.1 add that 14652 is proposed

walkthru of .23
Add a conformance clause as clause 2.
DB to look through .23 and .18 and suggest selected text.
 
Annex B: data could be available in a separate file.
Annex D should be updated.

8. Plan:

WD3 should be sent to email list a month from now.
Editor will gather comments, and the resolvable be incorporated,
while more problematic be put on an issues list. Comments open
for one month.

WD4 will be the resulting draft. 
WD5 will be result of comments to WD4 and output of combined PASC
and WG15 meeting, probably 1999-01, and should be ready for
ballot in IEEE and for SC22 review and comment and possibly PDTR
registration.

Next meeting: 

Possibly January 1999, but up to WG15.

Meeting closed at 11:35