Subject: minutes from WG15 ad hoc on iso14766

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 08:57:19 +0100

Meeting of WG15 ad hoc on national profiles 
Cornwall, Ontario, CA, 1997-10-23 09:00-12:00

1. Selection of chair and secretary:
Chair: David Blackwood, Secretary: Keld Simonsen

2. Roll call of experts:

Nobuo Saito, JP
David Blackwood, CA
Alain LaBonté, CA
Doug Langlotz, CA
Keld Simonsen, DK

3. Minutes of IEEE P1494 meeting 1997-07-16

No comments. It was not our minutes.

4. Organisation.

JTC1 has approved the work item as JTC1.22.14766 for a TR, with Keld
Simonsen as project editor. In WG15 it was discussed then how to
develop it, and it was decided to try to get it developed in PASC,
and a PAR was generated and approved as P1494. Professor Saito is
chair of the IEEE P1494 group, Keld Simonsen is editor,
a first meeting was held 1997-07-16. One proposal was to withdraw the
PAR and develop the TR in WG15.

Keld Simonsen reported that CEN/TC304 has a similar work "Guidelines
for production of POSIX National locales" and some resources
are available.

Professor Saito said that we should develop the guidelines but the
draft is fairly mature and we should be able to produce the TR quickly.
We need not do a lot of work based on the Chinese profiles. Professor
Saito will provide the Japanese profile to the editor.

David Blackwood mentioned PASC user organization profiles P1003.23,
and we should at least have a look at what they are doing. We
should not develop conflicting specifications.
David could possibly do some work on profiles.

Alain Labonté would be able to participate via email, but would
possibly not be attending more meetings.

The adhoc will work as much as possible by email, Professor Saito,
Keld Simonsen, Alain LaBonté and David Blackwood would be on the list.
Keld Simonsen volunteered to set up an email and web services,
email [email-masked] . The email will be open for
ISO experts, IEEE members and other interested. We will invite the
participants of the IEEE meeting to participate.

Should we request to withdraw the PAR? We will ask to have that
addressed at the next WG15 meeting in April 1998. For the time
being we propose that the meeting will be held as joint meetings
of WG15 and IEEE. We would meet in January 1998 in conjunction
with the IEEE and WG15 meetings, and also in April 1998 together with
IEEE and WG15.

Professor Saito will as IEEE P1494 chair coordinate with IEEE
and the WG15 convener for these two meetings.

5. TR 14766 WD1 

Keld Simonsen has provided a first draft, WG15 N746. It is a
consolidated text from earlier submissions, and it does include
text on 10646 support in POSIX standards, as directed by WG15.

Walkthru of the N746:

2. references should be updated.

3.1.4 changed to Conformance to POSIX national profiles

Add National Standards Profiles (NSP) definiton

Say that a NSP is a standard approved by an ISO member body.

3.2 terms will be expanded.

5. or 6. An expalnation of POSIX national profiles to ISPs and
TR 10000 will be included.

in 6.3 maybe text from TR 10000-2 section 6.3 will be included.

6.3 will refer to the CEN ENV 12005 cultural registry currently under
fast track in JTC1.

6.5 will contain text essentially taken from 6.4

6.7 will be rewritten so that only cultural services from the NSP
will be used in addition to internationlaized services.

8. will be rewirtten so that danish experiences will be examples, and
proper guidelines be made.

8.6  the euro double-currency will be mentioned

8.8 the greek example "Ne" = yes will be mentioned.

POSIX will be replaced with ref to 9945-2, and other references will
be updated to refer ISO documents whenever possible.

Contents of the TR:

1. scope
2. normative references
3. definitions
4. abbreviations
5. Purpose of profiles and locales
6. concept of profile
7. contents of profile
8. concept of locale
9. contents of locale
10. using templates
11. conformance and benchmarks
Annexes
A. POSIX locale extract
B. symbolic names
C. Tools
D. 10646 guidance
E. Registry data
F. Example: Japan
G. Example: Denmark
H. Bibliography
I. Index

Plan: send to PDTR after the April 1998 meeting.

Keld Simonsen will create email list with as many as possible.
Editor will create wd2 in Nov with the changes implemented from this meeting.
Editor will process comments, leaving things that are not agreed on an issues list 
Editor will issue resulting WD3 beginning of january 98.
IEEE Mock ballot after january, sent to SC22 for comments in jan 98.
Then lets see what happens.

Keld Simonsen will distribute the minutes to WG15.

Meeting closed at 12:00