Subject: IEEE minutes

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 08:55:47 +0100

Minutes for National Profiles and National Locales (IEEE P1494):

Meeting called to order at 9:25am Wednesday July 16, 1997.

    Introduction of Participants:
	Nobuo Saito - Keio University (Chair) [email-masked]
	Don Cragun - Sun Microsystems, Inc. (acting secretary) [email-masked]
	Andrew Josey - The Open Group [email-masked]
	Wai-Man Long - Digital Equipment Corp [email-masked]
	Sandra martin O'Donnell - Digital Equipment Corp [email-masked]

    Don Cragun agreed to act as secretary for this meeting.

    There is already a WG15 work item (14766) for this project.
    The WG15 Technical Editor for this project is Keld Simonsen.

    The PAR for this project was approved by IEEE in December 1996.
    This is the first meeting of the working group.
    
    Professor Saito would like to have few face-to-face meetings
    and handle the rest of the work by email.
    
    Sandra noted that there was the X/Open Joint Internationalization
    Group that has adopted about 20 national profiles.  The profiles
    registered there for Canada and Japan has been well accepted, but
    most of the other country profiles have not been widely adopted.
    There was some discussion about the need for a guide in this area
    given that few countries seem to be actively producing national
    profiles.  There was agreement that system vendors would like to
    see more national profiles.
   
    ISO TR 10000 documents how to produce  profiles, but the intent
    is that this group should provide more specific guidance on how to
    produce locales and profiles based on the POSIX.2 localedef
    facilities.  There is also a section in IEEE Std 1003.0-1995
    dealing with I18N, but it does not seem to apply to this work.
   
    There was a discussion about how far this group should go.  If it
    limits itself to POSIX, it won't apply to Java, GUIs, and other
    areas.  But, if we limit the scope to POSIX, it is more likely to
    be useful for the topic it covers.  There is no intent at this time
    to produce profiles and locales based anything other than POSIX.

    Except for Professor Saito, we found that none of the attendees
    expect to atively partipate in this project.  It was suggested that
    the chair try to contact other people by email to see if active
    participation can be found for continued work by email.  If none
    can be found, the IEEE PASC PAR should be withdrawn.

Meeting adjourned at 11:05am.