Subject: (Copy) JTC1 N 1624

From: Johan van Wingen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 15:35 +0100 (CET)

This was the thing to do.
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Message-ID: <"94-09-30-15:34:43.98*PRECAL"@RULMVS.LEIDENUNIV.NL>
Date:    Fri, 30 Sep 94 15:34 CET
From:    "Johan van Wingen"                          <[email-masked]
To:      [email-masked]
Subject: JTC1 N 1624
 
Dear Ms. Rajchel
In document JTC1 N 1624, concerning strategy for implementation of
information technology, mention is made of "an electronic ISO 8859-1
(ASCII) version of a document" etc. This is not correct, and caused
confusion at the recent SC22 Plenary meeting. ASCII is the US National
Version of ISO/IEC 646, now identical to ISO/IEC 646 International
Reference Version (IRV), and is a 7-bit code. ISO 8859-1 is an 8-bit
code which also provides a code for all 94 graphic characters of ASCII
and SPACE, but for 96 others as well. Thus the reference in N 1624
is contradictory in itself, not making clear whether 95 or 191
characters are meant.
 
Hoping to have clarified the matter and of having been of some help,
 
Best regards from J. W. van Wingen
Netherlands delegate to SC2 and SC22,
Liaison Representative SC2/SC22
[email-masked] or [email-masked]